NOTICE: If you are a returning member, please reset your password to be able to log in as your old password can no longer be used. Make sure you check your spam/junk mail folder in case the reset consent mail lands there. Additionally, you may not reply to or start new topics outside of the non-archive zone.

GLaDOS

Topic author
Yandols
Articles:0

Badges

GLaDOS

Post by Yandols » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:40 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present you GLaDOS!
If you've played or seen PoRTaL before I'm very sure that you know who or what is GLaDOS.
GLaDos is a Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System. Yup, and she's female.
Like I said, PoRTaL players should already know about GLaDOS, but to other people this will be something new to them, yes i know.

Anyways, what i meant by "I present you GLaDOS!" is actually, I HAVE CREATED GLADOS FOR WINDOWS. WOOOT!!! Well, sort-of. XD
Heh, its just a program i created that mimics the way GLaDOS speaks by playing GLaDOS' wav files. :P And it took me only.... 4 hours to finish this program. Woah, thats quick, usually it will take me about more than 6 hours and sometimes a few days to finish a program. This was a quite easy and hard program to make and i had a little fun scripting it.
Well then, i think i should tell you more about the program now.
It is a program i created that plays the voice of GLaDOS from PoRTaL, it plays GLaDOS' voice because it reads a folder that contains full of GLaDOS' voices, however I didn't include ALL of GLaDOS' voice because that will take up to about more than 100MB, and thats not good isn't it?

GLaDOS Emulator

Information:
Latest Version: v1.05/2617 | Scripter: Yandols ZeonX | For: Windows XP and above
Note: Not tested on Windows XP.

Download:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B20QUj2IonhHZWZiOTlkMzMtZGIzZS00YTBkLWIwNzktZTVhOGY0NjY3MmVi&hl=en&authkey=CO6v-oIK

Instructions:
Extract the archive to a folder, then run GLaDOS.exe

Features:
  • Upon start of the program, GLaDOS will greet you.
  • GLaDOS will automatically speak every 5 minutes (can be disabled).
  • You can make GLaDOS speak manually.
  • Upon exit of the program, GLaDOS will say goodbye to you.
Some FAQ:
Q: UAC is required to be turned off/Right Click -> Run As Administrator? (Vista+ users)
A: Nope, this program does not modify any system files so it should not require UAC to be turned off nor the program be runned by administrator, it should be able to run well. Unless, you put it into C:\Program Files\ or C:\Windows or any other system folder that is.

Q: Compatible with Linux?
A: I think no, but theres a possibility that it will be able to run on Linux.

Q: Compatible with Mac?
A: Absolutely not. I never even used a Mac before, so i dunno what engine a Mac is running on, and its core, structure, files, blah blah blah.

Q: Can I delete the log files it creates?
A: Yes, you can delete the log files themselves but dont remove the "log" folder.

Q: Can I delete the cache files it creates?
A: No dont! The cache files are needed for GLaDOS to play the sounds. GLaDOS will automatically update the cache files, so don't delete them.

Customization:
This program is customizable!? OMGWTFBBQ :D Yes apparently it is. Since v1.04, I changed the coding so that it will read a folder and also a cache file (automatically updated) instead of 36 static variables that was used in the earlier version of the program.

So how to customize?
Easy, just drop in your wav files into the "wav\escape" folder and GLaDOS will automatically update your cache files when you launch the program so that it can be used.
However there is 1 rule you need to follow, the filenames of your wav files must not exceed 20 characters in length, including the last ".wav", so if you have a file named "ThisIsAnExampleWavFile.wav" you should rename it to "ThisIsAnExampleW.wav", which contains a total of 20 characters in length of the filename.

Can I add more of GLaDOS voices into the program?
Yes of course! If you have a copy of the PoRTaL game, you should be able to find files of GLaDOS' voices somewhere around the game folder. Just copy them over as explained above. Just remember to rename the files so that they do not exceed 20 characters.

What about the files outside of the escape folder?
Uhh... Yes and No. You can change the sound that GLaDOS plays but the filename must be the same as the ones that were originally in that folder.

Can I change how frequent GLaDOS auto-speaks?
At this time, it is not possible. Making a variabled timer that is read from a file is sort of complicating to do, i might find a way to make it happen in an easier way though in the future.

Todo:
  • Increase the efficency of GLaDOS and improve the scripting.
  • Add customizable timer for auto-speak.
  • Change the About panel.
  • Make an Options panel.
  • Get a better icon for the program.
  • Fix any possible bugs.

Yandols ZeonX.
Rocknarok Inc.

I'm Yandols. The Founder and Head Admin of this place.
Please contact me immediately if you encounter any problems.

Nirvaxstiel

Badges

Post by Nirvaxstiel » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:46 pm

Wow, Nice I should try this

brianuuu

Badges

Post by brianuuu » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:33 pm

LOL funny program

CHM-Mayune

Badges

Post by CHM-Mayune » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:33 pm

I will try this when my computer's problem (again) is fixed.

Nirvaxstiel

Badges

Post by Nirvaxstiel » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:16 am

Yesh, its funneh alright =D

Sonikku Ekksu

Badges

Post by Sonikku Ekksu » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:08 am

GLADOS
y
o