NOTICE: If you are a returning member, please reset your password to be able to log in as your old password can no longer be used. Make sure you check your spam/junk mail folder in case the reset consent mail lands there. Additionally, you may not reply to or start new topics outside of the non-archive zone.

Google Turning Google Docs Into Universal File Host

Topic author
Yandols
Articles:0

Badges

Google Turning Google Docs Into Universal File Host

Post by Yandols » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:59 am

Google Docs is currently a popular location on the Internet to store document formats like Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF documents. This is soon going to change according to a Techcrunch story on the subject. Google will roll out an update to Google Docs in the coming weeks that will remove the file type limitations that are currently in place which effectively means that users can upload any kind of files to Google Docs. This turns Google Docs from a document hosting service into a pure file host.

Techcrunch was able to uncover additional details from Google Docs product manager Vijay Bangar about the new Google Docs service. The maximum file size has been set to 250 Megabytes which is the same limit that is currently in place for file types that are not converted by the Google service.

Each Google Docs user receives a free quote of 1 Gigabyte of data that can be stored on the Google Docs servers. Additional Gigabytes can be purchased for the low fee of $0.25 per Gigabyte per year. Business users on the other hand have to pay more as their pricing starts at $17 per year for 5 Gigabytes of storage space. No bandwidth fees are charged apparently.

All the existing features of Google Docs including the ability to make uploads private or public are available for the general file types as well.

Will Google Docs become the new Rapidshare? Could be a dream come true for the file sharing scene: Unlimited bandwidth, no wait time and 1 Gigabyte of space.

From ghacks.net
I'm Yandols. The Founder and Head Admin of this place.
Please contact me immediately if you encounter any problems.

iSubaru
Articles:0

Badges

Post by iSubaru » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:25 am

We can already use more or less Google GMail as 7+ GB storage so what's the deal with just 1 GB??? :)
/meow
My love :3
Spoiler
Show
Tails signature made by Tezuka for me, thank You very much Tezuka
Spoiler
Show

Return to “Technology Center”